1. USC lost to Stanford. I always appreciate a good rivalry especially when the underdog manages to win. As an added bonus we no longer have to hear about USC and Lane Kiffin talk about making a run for the national championship.
2. Va Tech got taken to the woodshed by Pitt. Any talk about Tech making a run for the national championship will now officially be terminated. Now best case scenario is that they win the ACC and subsequently lose the bowl game because that is their move. In other bad news for the Hokies, they have dropped out of the AP top 25 for the first time since 2010.
3. Dallas got thrashed by Seattle and the Pats lost to the Cardinals which pretty much destroyed everyone's week 2 bracket.
Now the negatives:
1. The replacement refs for the NFL can only be described as TERRIBLE. Time for Goodell to end this charade and get the real refs back. As proof, courtesy of Steve Czaban who pointed me to Deadspin's top 21 mistakes of week one. I am sure there will be another one for week 2.
2. While I don't believe the Redskins deserved to win the game in St. Louis, that was a terrible way to lose it. It will be a long flight for Josh Morgan who by the way is a Virginia Tech graduate which explains pretty much EVERYTHING and according to wikipedia may or may not be "the dumbest player in the NFL."
Now let's talk about Navy football.
While we all look forward to the Navy Bird Dog breaking down the game, here are my thoughts:
As a Navy fan, when I looked at the schedule and saw we were playing Notre Dame and Penn State I was pretty sure we would start the season 0-2. However, at no point in time did I think we would be outscored by a total of 84-17.
By the second half, I found myself like Seinfeld watching the game not for enjoyment but out of spite.
It is hard to judge where we really are as a team. Maybe we aren't that bad. Maybe those teams are really that much better. I have a hard time with that perspective. It was just 2010 where we almost beat South Carolina and just last week Air Force nearly beat Michigan in the big house. (As a side note: chances of getting CINC's cup this year not looking good)
So I guess the "real" season starts this Saturday against VMI.
I will hold off on the panic button for now. But if we struggle against the Keydets, it may be time to warm it up.